Did you send a wedding announcement to Social Security?

Lesley Mast | April 3rd, 2012

When you’re newly married, there’s so much to think about.  Did you remember to thank Aunt Joan for that silver tray?  Did you remember to have your mail forwarded to your new address?  One thing that may not make the list: Did you remember to notify the Social Security Administration of your name change?

If you’ve married or divorced and changed your last name in the past year, you’ve probably had a lot on your mind.  But, forgetting to notify Social Security about your new (or newly hyphenated) last name could lead to a delay in the processing in your tax return and a wait until you get your refund.

When you file a return, the IRS matches your name up with your Social Security number.  When there’s no match, the IRS has to go looking… leading to a delay in the processing of your return and in getting you your money.

Fortunately, notifying the SSA is a task that’s easy to check off your list.  You just need to file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, which you can get at your local Social Security office, by mail, or online at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf.

Contact our Ohio Tax Professionals

A recent change in marital status may have tax implications beyond getting a new Social Security Card.  Should you file singly or jointly?  Do you qualify for any new deductions?  Should you adjust your withholding levels?  If you’re unsure of how to handle your first “we” income tax filing contact Rea & Associates for professional business income tax preparation.  Our experienced Ohio tax team will determine the best way for you to file and prepare a correct return.  We’ll take care of the paperwork and you can get back to enjoying being a newlywed.

Share Button

Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply