Top 5 Dear Drebit Post for the Month of November
November is over and the Holiday season is in full swing. But even though we are busy practicing our caroling and searching for the best online bargains, we still have time to share the latest in business and financial news.
From filling you in about some of the topics we have covered in our weekly podcast to providing you with information and updates about unclaimed funds in Ohio and the Affordable Care Act – we were providing you with posts designed to help protect your finances, your identity and so much more.
Take a look to find out what our top 5 blog posts were in November and read up on anything you may have missed.
- How Do I Avoid Obamacare Penalties? – The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has put a lot of stress on business owners over the last couple years, and 2016 will be no exception. However, if you look closely, you might be able to uncover areas of opportunity. There are three points all business owners should know to avoid penalties, read on to find out what they are.
- WARNING: Tis The Season To Practice Safe Online Shopping Habits — While it may be the most wonderful time of the year, cyber criminals are looking for ways to stuff their own stockings – at your expense. The holiday season is also a busy time of the year for scammers because, in general, more money is being spent and more people are clicking through cyberspace for the best deals and tracking their purchases. KnowBe4 recently published a blog about the top five scams shoppers should be on the lookout for, and we wanted to pass these on to our readers. Consider the following information to be an early gift from us to you, and hopefully your bank account can welcome the New Year unscathed.
- File and Suspend Strategy Suspended – Deciding when to claim your Social Security benefits is often one of the most significant financial decisions older Americans must make today because, for many, Social Security benefits make up a substantial portion of their retirement income. Unfortunately, Congress recently passed legislation that will put an end to two popular strategies being used to maximize benefits married couples receive in their golden years.
- Do You Need to Send an Annual Notice to Your 401k Participants? — As we begin the last quarter of the year, if your company sponsors a calendar year 401k plan, don’t forget about participant notice requirements. They must be furnished by December 1 and may impact the operation or qualification of your plan. Here is a checklist that may be helpful, but check with us if you are not certain which of these requirements apply to your plan.
- New Payment Option Available To Ohio Pass Through Entities – Do you currently enjoy the benefits associated with owning a pass through entity (PTE) in Ohio, including better tax treatment and limited liability protection? Well, earlier this month the Department of Taxation announced another little perk – online payments! According to the release, the Treasurer of Ohio is now accepting tax payments per its Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) program on its website.
We hope you enjoy the top five posts from November. We are always updating this page, so be sure to subscribe to Dear Drebit – or you can subscribe to our bi-weekly electronic newsletter – and never miss the critical information we provide to readers. You are also welcome to ask us a specific question about, well … just about anything finance or business related and one of our subject matter experts will provide you with a response. Just scroll up to the top of the page and fill out the form on the top, right corner.
Finally, don’t forget, you that you can always email Rea & Associates to have an in depth conversation about your existing personal or professional challenges. Our CPAs and business advisors are always happy to speak with you.
Posted in Business Advice, Health Care Reform, Personal Finance, Retirement Plan | No Comments »